Masters of Science in Software Engineering
The Masters of Science in Software Engineering program is one of several degree programs provided by the Computer Engineering department at SJSU. The program provides students with an educational experience that builds on traditional computer science and engineering, and then takes an integrative approach to software engineering. With the increased globalization of the software development workforce there is less programming being performed in the United States. Therefore it becomes increasingly important that graduates understand developing technologies and architectures and their influence on software engineering processes, where large-scale design is pre-eminent, and where component integration is the standard mode of development. The program offers a strong testing and quality assurance component.
The software industry increasingly requires those with a suitable engineering background for their cutting edge projects. Graduates with an MS in Software Engineering can expect to find significant opportunities in software development, management, and marketing.
A wide variety of computing equipment is available. Courses are usually conducted using the specialized equipment at the department, with a variety of sophisticated workstations and state-of-the-art software engineering tools.
The Masters of Science in Software Engineering program requirements include degree core, specialization classes, electives, and a culminating experience. Four specializations are provided: Enterprise Software Technologies, Cloud Computing and Virtualization, Software Systems Engineering, and Networking Software.
(a) Be able to demonstrate an understanding of advanced knowledge of the practice of software engineering, from vision to analysis, design, validation and deployment.
(b) Be able to tackle complex engineering problems and tasks, using contemporary engineering principles, methodologies and tools.
(c) Be able to demonstrate leadership and the ability to participate in teamwork in an environment with different disciplines of engineering, science and business.
(d) Be aware of ethical, economic and environmental implications of their work, as appropriate.
(e) Be able to advance successfully in the engineering profession, and sustain a process of life-long learning in engineer or other professional areas.
(f) Be able to communicate effectively, in both oral and written forms.
University Learning Goals:
San José State University graduates will have developed:
- Specialized Knowledge
- Depth of knowledge required for a degree, as identified by its program learning outcomes.
- Broad Integrative Knowledge
- Mastery in each step of an investigative, creative or practical project (e.g. brainstorming, planning, formulating hypotheses or complex questions, designing, creating, completing, and communicating).
- An understanding of the implications of results or findings from a particular work in a societal context (e.g. social or economic implications of a scientific finding).
- Students graduating with a baccalaureate degree will have demonstrated an understanding of critical components of broad academic areas, the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences and their integration.
- Intellectual Skills
- Fluency in the use of specific theories, tools, technology and graphical representation.
- Skills and abilities necessary for life‐long learning: critical and creative thinking, effective communication, conscientious information gathering and processing, mastery of quantitative methodologies, and the ability to engage effectively in collaborative activities.
- Applied Knowledge
- The ability to integrate theory, practice, and problem‐solving to address practical issues.
- The ability to apply their knowledge and skills to new settings or in addressing complex problems.
- The ability to work productively as individuals and in groups
- Social and Global Responsibilities
- The ability to act intentionally and ethically to address a global or local problem in an informed manner with a multicultural and historical perspective and a clear understanding of societal and civic responsibilities.
- Diverse and global perspectives through engagement with the multidimensional SJSU community.